Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Facebook and old Friends

I just wanted to write about a very old friend that found me on Facebook. There has been times when I've used the excuse of "wow I spent longer on Facebook than I wanted to" and didn't get any of my chores done, so pondered with the thought of just not logging on there anymore, but then something happens to make me change my mind -- like old friends popping up!
When my parents lived in Gibraltar, they had good friends by the name of Keith and Sheila Cohen who had 2 girls, one of which was my age. Her name was Corrina (or Carrie as we all called her) and we stuck together like glue. After the families moved back to England, her family moved to Essex near London and my parents went back to Yorkshire. We'd travel down to see them every couple of years or so when my dad drove long distance, but the friendship faded. In high school pen pals became a big trend and though I already had two (one in Wales and the other in Italy) my mum suggested that I write to Corrina, so I did! I was about 13 when I started and we kept it up until I moved to the States, we lost contact after I got married and moved from Swartz Creek, but I always thought of her. Well to my surprise she found me on Facebook. I got all excited and cut Win off in the middle of his conversation so I could log on to Facebook and accept her as my friend. Poor Win!! He already knows I have a few screws loose, so he just shook his head and listened to me ramble on about our history. Though we haven't spoke to each other in over 10 years, we started back up like it was just last week. It was freaky that we both have son's named Brandon, even spelled the same way, who are 2 yrs apart, but of course she has to have 2 more kids to catch up with me. I remember how we both would worry about not getting married, and the time I embarrassed her by going up to a guy she liked at a bar on one of our visits down to Chelmsford to ask him if he would go on a date with her. He's not the guy she married though. I thought she'd be the 1st but it ended up being me. I don't have too many best friends from my childhood, but I'm glad I got this one back. I miss all my family and friends in England constantly and so I guess Facebook's future on my computer is a long one.

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

That's awesome, Marianne! I've had ton of fun catching up with old friends via facebook, too. In fact, I just got back in touch with my best friend in college. What days those were!

Long live facebook. :)